Perhaps it would help to start with a fairly clean namespace and then
have some modules which would imitate various environments.  So for
example, there might be a simple command like:

set_style('mathematica')

which would define the N() function, and some other favorite
mathematica functions.  Conceivably it would even change the behavior
of symbolic objects so that 1.0*sin(1) would evaluate to a numerical
answer, although that seems like more of a pain to implement.

-Marshall