On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:54 PM, William Stein wrote:
> On 7/10/07, David Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
>> But I *do* like the idea of the clean initial
>> namespace, which gets subsequently polluted on demand when
>> requested by
>> the user.
>
> I do not think this should be the default for everybody, because it
> is less user friendly.  Many people might be annoyed by having to type
>
>   from sage.all import plot

Just to keep this ball rolling around a bit longer, I don't think
that David's suggestion necessarily leads to this.  It's one thing to
have SAGE functionality at the ready at startup.  It's another to
have a lot of "optional" environmentally friendly names cluttering up
the namespace.

This started with the discussion of predefining the "symbolic
calculus" variables by default.  I think that has been the thrust of
most of the comments so far.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large