On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, William Stein wrote:

> On 11/1/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>> Under the way I've implemented this, the
>> action on the list [1,...,n] is trivially
>> isomorphic to the group structure.  You
>> seem to be using a left-action which
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I am using a left action.

... failure to type ... I meant right action.

>> doesn't really go well with the notation g(l).
>
> If g and h are in a group and you use the
> notation g(x) to denote the action of g on
> x then you had better be talking about a left
> action, since
>
>    g(h(x)) = (g*h)(x)

... yeah, that's what I was getting at.

My way:

sage: a = G([(1,2,3),(4,5)])
sage: b = G([(1,2,3,4,5)])
sage: a('abcde')
'bcaed'
sage: b(a('abcde'))
'caedb'
sage: (b*a)('abcde')
'caedb'

Your way: (note -- I'm doing this part by hand, so it might be wrong -- the
above is output from Sage)

sage: a = G([(1,2,3),(4,5)])
sage: b = G([(1,2,3,4,5)])
sage: c = b*a; c