On 2020-07-01 09:23, Nicolo' Piazzalunga wrote:
> Thanks.
> I'm puzzled by 'does not support check for system package'/'no suitable
> system package' in config.log

We haven't written the script to detect a system copy of ECL yet. We're
in the middle of upgrading to a new major version of it, and only after
that's done will it make sense to detect a system copy (which will have
to be brand new). See,

  * https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/22191
  * https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29617

> E.g. why is it not finding boost, isl, and why is it building ecl (just
> to list a few), all of which are installed as system packages?

I think Dima answered your question for these two, but in general, you
can check config.log to see what decision the ./configure script made
and why. If you need to dig further, the detection scripts are in

  build/pkgs/<name-of-package>/spkg-configure.m4

in the sage source tree.