Mark uses LLL to solve the knapsack problem that arises from solving
how the local factors should be bundled together to reconstruct the
global factors. It's only used to tame the combinatorial explosion
that you get if there are many local factors, but only very few global
ones.
This is completely analogous in the multivariate situation, where your
specializations give local factorizations. (i.e., take a square-free
multivariate polynomial f(x,y), find a y0 such that f(x,y0) is also
square-free, determine the factorization of f(x,y0), lift it to a
power-series factorization of f(x,y0+z), use LLL to see how these
factors pack together to give a polynomial factorization of f(x,y).

I can image that for polynomials, you can do something faster.
However, if the combinatorial explosion is a problem there as well,
Mark van Hoeij's trick should still apply.