Apparently van Hoeij's approach works (very well) for bivariate
polynomials over ZZ. The Magma documentation doesn't seem to give any
clue as to whether they use a van Hoeij like approach for finite
fields. I at least cannot see how such a thing would work.

I did sit down and browse the paper I linked to, today, and I seem to
recall that there are suggestions for how to turn the exponential
explosion into a polynomial time algorithm, but if I recall correctly,
the people who wrote the paper seemed to think it wasn't worth doing.
There are lots of suggestions that are worth looking at though, even
some that might apply in the ZZ case.

In contrast, we *definitely* need van Hoeij in the bivariate ZZ case.

Bill.