On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 13:12, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > One way I can explain this is a broken system-wide install of libffi-dev
>> > I don't know how this can be achieved, other than having multiple
>> > system-wide copies of libffi,
>> > or stuff manually removed.
>> >
>> > The other possibility is that the linker is told not to look for
>> > system-wide libffi - can this be achieved with -L and -Wl,-rpath ?
>> >
>> > On the other hand, it's a bug in maxima, which does not try to check
>> > for presense of libffi, just assumes it's there.
>>
>> oops, I meant to say, it's a bug in ECL, as this failing call to gcc
>> is emitted by ECL.
>

> Why did SageMath say this? Was it checking for runtime libffi or headers?

it's checking with pkg-config first of all.
see build/pkgs/libffi/spkg-configure.m4

If this test succeeds, it's assumed everything is fine.
Note that libffi is a pre-req for ECL, and ECL is built just fine,
as far as one can see.

I gather it must be a bug in ECL, which struggles to create a correct
incantation of C compiler calls
from a unique (Copyright JEC 2021 :-)) concostion of gmp built by Sage
and libffi provided by the system.

ECL checks for libffi carefully in its configure, as far as I know.

John, can you post logs/pkgs/ecl-21.2.1.log ?