On Mon, 31 Jan 2022, 17:12 Sébastien Labbé, <sla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The "./configure" part of the installation of sage advice this:
> database_cremona_ellcurve-20190911:          optional, use "./configure
> --enable-database_cremona_ellcurve" to install
>
> Therefore, if I were you, after updating the source tree with git let's
> say, I would do:
>
> make configure
> ./configure --enable-database_cremona_ellcurve
> MAKE='make -j8' make
>
> to compile sagemath in parallel such a way that it automatically installs
> the desired optional packages in whatever ordering respecting the
> dependencies which works.
>
> You may also want more such "enable" as follows:
>
> ./configure \
>             --enable-experimental-packages \
>             --enable-download-from-upstream-url \
>             --enable-ccache \
>             --enable-database_cremona_ellcurve
>
> You may consult the config.log file which lists a lot of them.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sébastien

Thanks for that. Some of us have been building Sage from source for a long
time (14 years!) which means we are set in our ways and just do what we
have always done.

On the other hand it should surely be possible to install a package as
simple as this one without triggering a full rebuild, completely
unnecessarily, instead having to know before starting every optional
package one might ever need.