> But people nowadays who start with GitHub never have to go through archaic
>>> setup steps such as those that we document at
>>> https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/trac.html#trac-authentication-through-ssh,
>>>
>>> which --- even when it is working --- is major friction for the project.
>>>

>> I think it has been just far too long since you uploaded your ssh key to
>> GH. The server cannot magically know your ssh public key.
>>

> You are missing that the new contributors will already have set up their
> GitHub for virtual everything else that they work on. There is no
> additional such cost for starting to work on a new project that's also
> hosted on GitHub.
> This is a just tiny bit of the big network effects that will come.

This is true, they do have to do it for our separate project. However, your
characterization that the current setup is archaic is false unless you want
to call what GH does archaic too. I also don't agree that it is a major
friction point; all of my experience/feedback has been people have the most
trouble getting user names to access trac and dealing with our coding/doc
standards.