On Wed, 2024-01-10 at 06:49 -0800, William Stein wrote:
> Dear Sage Developers,
>
> 1. There are over 20 pull requests labeled as "disputed" [1].  To
> resolve these pull requests, we will be appointing an editor with no
> direct involvement in the pull request to make a judgement call on
> that particular pull request.   We will then fully support the
> decision of this editor.     If you have the time to be the (possibly
> anonymous) editor for a disputed pull request, please email us
> (wst...@gmail.com, vbraun.n...@gmail.com) and we'll  add your name to
> our list.

Many of these are disputed for the same underlying reasons. Appointing
a different editor for each PR is not likely to help. If you pick an
editor from Camp A, he or she will always rule in favor of Camp A; pick
an editor from Camp B...

I foresee several problems resulting:

  1. We'll wind up with disputes about how the editor was chosenĀ in
     place of disputed PRs.

  2. The editor is essentially ruling in favor of a development
     philosophy, and it would make little sense to rule against
     the opinion of the majority of sage developers (if there is
     such a thing).

  3. It often doesn't make sense to rule in favor of Camp A for
     one PR and Camp B for another.

  4. It enables editor shopping and PR ping pong. Rule against me
     the first time? I can try again in two weeks and hope for a
     different editor.

Different journal editors can accept competing publications without
much harm, but here that's not the case.