> I don't think it's off-topic to once again point out that this way of
phrasing it is very developer-centric.  That's not a wrong way to look at
it, but an end-user-centric way of looking at it is also valid.

It seems to me that "developer" here refers to a very different kind of
developer than me, which is probably because I mostly care about getting my
mathematics done and (probably because of that) use only linux.  I never
had any severe build problems, although recently I have had some problems
with TMPDIR.

When I say "developer-centric", you probably are already in this category,
since you have quite a bit of expertise and also do development work with
FriCAS (if I recall correctly?).  Anyone building from scratch more than
once would probably count in this category :-) but you are right that
especially those dealing with the non-mathematical part of the build are
most impacted by this disagreement.

When I think of "user-centric",  I'm thinking more about the mathematicians
John Cremona has helped install Sage, often laboriously, or the people that
the 3_manifolds project create the Mac binary for, or (especially) people
wanting to use Sage to help them with their undergraduate teaching and
their research at the same time.   People who are not particularly likely
to use Github, even if they happen to have an account, people who might not
mind a command line to do math, but don't want to mess with things like
homebrew or conda or whatever on a work-owned system.  (And yes, also
people wanting to apt-get Sage, maybe with the AIMS desktop?)

My thinking is (as ever) in terms of potential users, not just the already
committed.  Sage as such has distinct benefits over "just a Python library"
in similar ways that M* does.  That doesn't mean we should stick with any
particular model, but making sure it's not a big roadblock to people
creating end-user output is key.