Maybe it would make sense to appoint a group of editors, rather than a
single editor, and this group decides per vote?  I'd feel much better if
the responsibility is at least a little bit distributed between several
people, and, most importantly, people who have been around for some time.

(Please note that I have no idea what these disputed PRs are really about.
I looked at some of them, but was unable to see how they might affect me.)

Martin