On Jun 5, 11:05 am, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 12:56 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 4, 8:35 pm, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Hi David,
>
> > I don't believe the problem I was experiencing is anything to do with
> > the shell, or how it is called. As Is said, I'm not using csh or tcsh
> > as a login shell, but bash.
>
> Ok, but that bug also exists ;)

I am sure it does :)

<snip>
> > ld: warning: option -o appears more than once, first setting taken
> > ld: fatal: file libntl-5.4.2.so: unknown file type
> > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
>
> This rings a bell: Any chance your gcc was build using the Sun ld and
> not the GNU ld? I would change
>
>  -Wl,-soname,lib`cat  DIRNAME`.so -o lib`cat DIRNAME`.so

>  -o libntl.so
>
> since the that does not work with the Sun ld IIRC. By now I am
> actually thinking that we should not add "-Kl,-soname $FOO" & friends
> to the default makefiles since those are GNU ld specific.

Spot on Michael. gcc config is given at the beginning of the
compilation and says: --without-gnu-ld --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld

OK back to square one to put together a better patch.
It's at time like this that you start wishing everything was
auto/lib-tooled.

Cheers,
Francois