We are running a VMWare server for fall classes.  However, we have run
into the disturbing problem that if we want to use a newer version of
Sage (such as to get the plotting improvements), we would need to
(quoting William in the earlier version of this thread) "upload them
tediously one by one."  This basically means we can't upgrade Sage in
the middle of the semester if even a few students decide to use Sage,
and we are hoping for a score or two or them to do so.  Also, will the
user info migrate, or would they have to be readded?

One thing the admin has tried is copying old worksheets into different
possible directories, just as a crazy thing to do, for instance given
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/ef2d39efd31f5e28/336519680f4e10ae?lnk=gst&q=moving+worksheets#336519680f4e10ae
. Now, http://www.sagemath.org/doc/tut/node45.html makes it clear
where the worksheet pages are supposed to live.  But today I verified
that the version of at least one of my worksheets that in fact shows
up in the browser lives in ~/sage_notebook/worksheets/admin , while
others definitely live in ~/.sage/sage_notebook/worksheets/admin .  It
isn't a case of a reference, either, because there is an older version
of the first worksheet in the .sage directory, while in the other case
the worksheet *only* exists in the .sage/ directory.  So now I am
unsure whether I should even try to move my own worksheets around on
my personal computer!

I would love to try to fix this but unfortunately know nothing about
these issues, and our admin is not likely to try to fix the code.  Is
there any sense (on support or devel) of whether either of these
things might be resolved soon (or in the second case, if it's even
been noticed before - I haven't seen it in a fairly exhaustive sage-
support search)?  We would obviously prefer if yes, but even if not,
then at least we can prepare for this properly and not send students
on wild goose chases for their data.

Thanks much.
- kcrisman