Working with the limited tools at my disposal (this will all go away
with BeSpin, if they know what they're doing), I introduce a hotkey
which finds the first open paren / brace / bracket and closes it at
your current cursor location:

This is *almost* done.  For some reason, I didn't see J. Palmieri's
most recent reply until now, but there's a very easy fix.

The problem with your suggestion is that highlighting something in a
cell is rather difficult since we use textareas and not franken-divs
as you see in the WSYIWYG html editors.  We've tried to use a few of
those, but they have way too much CPU / RAM overhead.  We played with
the emacs (?) style where the cursor jumps to the paren for  a
half-second or so, but this was rife with problems, too.