On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Tom Boothby <tomas.boot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:36:00PM -0500, Jason Grout wrote:
>>>I'm just throwing it out there in the
>>> interest of brainstorming.
>>
>> Two more ideas:
>>
>> 1. a by default OFF feature, which can somewhere be set to
>> on, to prevent the CPU/RAM problems. Probably will trip up
>> inexperienced users who will leave it on though.
>
> The aforementioned CPU/RAM problems are intractable in the multi-cell
> mode.  Having more than three or four syntax-highlighting franken-divs
> will just crash your browser.  Perhaps if you have a few dozen gigs of
> RAM, it won't crash because it will slow to a crawl before filling up
> all available memory.

That is a bit of an exageration, but a fun one :-)  One can change
back and forth so that at any given moment only the currently edited
cell is the "franken-div" and no others are.  That said, I think you
and I (Booth and I) tried that once and even that simply didn't feel
snappy enough.  Snappiness is extremely important in the Sage
notebook, IMHO, and we should do our best to make it even more snappy
than it is, not less snappy.

William

--
William Stein