I had two goals in mind. The first was to have the notebook able to
control the applet, which I accomplished in the same way that you
have.  The second was to allow the notebook to read data from the
applet.  I wasn't able to make much progress on that front.  Geogebra
has the functionality to read an applet's state through javascript but
I didn't know enough about Sage and the notebook to allow it to store
the results of the javascript function call in the Sage session
running the notebook.

You may be able to figure out how that could work by looking at some
of the other java applets that are integrated into the notebook.
Unfortunately my knowledge of javascript and the way the notebook
works was not enough to do what I wanted and I didn't have enough time
to learn.

--
Jacob Hicks