On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 03:16:28PM -0600, David Roe wrote:
>    Agreed: defining actions through * should be no problem.  In fact, it will
>    be easier than with ^, since many elements implement __pow__ directly
>    rather than going through the coercion system.

Yup, I agree that * can be a convenient notation for actions.

That being said, * is already very overloaded, which can lead to
confusions. It's no accident that, when writing mathematics, people
often use a different operator (like . or ^) to denote actions and
only resort to * (or nothing) when there is no ambiguity in the given
context. I believe we want the same:

(1) Use by default explicit non ambiguous notations like g.act(x), or
    even:

     sage: action = ....
     sage: action(g,x)

(2) Provide an easy way for the user to register g*x as shorthand for
    the above when he thinks it's ok in his/her context.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/