I would be in favor of having the "sensible" notation, that is, change what
is currently in Sage.

With Sage-6.0 coming up there would be a natural transition point. It is
easy to have a warning shown the first time that you multiply two
permutations and not show it in DOCTEST_MODE. We would then keep the
(ill-advised) global variable around, flip the default value, and deprecate
it. The warning would tell you that you can use use it for a limited time
to switch back to the old behavior. In >1 year we then get rid of that
crutch.