Hello again,

thanks for the reactions! Good to see that I'm not the only one who is
having headaches with the current system.

On Saturday, 13 July 2013 05:21:58 UTC+2, Rob Beezer wrote:

>    Breaking doctests is one thing, breaking user code is another.

>    I've written some rather extensive materials to incorporate in

>    Judson's book, on Sage and elementary group theory (using

>    permutation groups), following the Sage convention.  All of

>    the low-level elementwise stuff there would break with a

>    change.  I am not arguing against a change, we should just

>    be aware that the pain goes beyond fixing up doctests.

Yes, I never said that doctests will be the only thing that breaks; I said
they are the only thing we can prevent from breaking. It's not a very
responsible attitude, but imho it's still better than doing nothing.

But if Judson's book uses right-to-left and Sage uses left-to-right,
shouldn't your materials actually become easier to use once the dust has
settled?

On Saturday, 13 July 2013 05:47:15 UTC+2, Volker Braun wrote

>    With Sage-6.0 coming up there would be a natural transition

>    point. It is easy to have a warning shown the first time that

>    you multiply two permutations and not show it in

>    DOCTEST_MODE. We would then keep the (ill-advised)

>    global variable around, flip the default value, and deprecate

>    it.

Good idea, although I'd rather have this done before 6.0 as I imagine the
6.0 update creating a cluster of other complications (git, and who knows,
maybe even Python 3).

  Best regards,
  Darij