I definitely am against the acknowledgements in the source code. It could
be necessary to have some way of acknowledgement (at the end, we would like
the community to consider that writing code for sage is not a minor task
compared to publishing papers), but that should be somewhere else. I
proposed either a comment in the trac ticket or the commit message, but the
file with the acknowledgements is better. But one thing that is important
from my point of view is to keep clear which code was funded by which grant
(i.e., specify the commits in the acknowledgement).