>  Also, Simon, in your way of doing things, in my experience if one does
not respond to an inappropriate message, then others will and discussions
go in all sorts of directions. So if a discussion was kind of shut down by
a "rude" post, how should one proceed? I would like to try that experiment!

It is not always so black and white, I believe. You can try to extract the
technical information from the rude post, if there is any, and answer to
that. But I don't think that you often have a peaceful discussion and, all
of a sudden, 'a rude post'. Usually the tension grows progressively (with a
dark music in the background) on both sides for a while before that
happens. Well. Methinks.

Nathann