On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:46 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 5:22:12 AM UTC-5, Nathann Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody !
>>
>> The "constructions" document is meant to "answer some questions along
>> the line 'How do I construct ... in Sage?' "
>>
>> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/constructions/index.html
>>

> In principle, this document needs to be massively updated or simply
> integrated (when useful) into the rest of the documentation.

Update it!

> The best outcome would be to have a true "how do I do *** in Sage"
> document that keeps being updated; that would go a long way toward
> resolving the current issue that the reference manual is too granular, the
> tutorial not detailed enough (which one would expect of both such
> documents).  But that is a big job.

Having a "how to do X in Sage" document is really useful to users.  Having
a document written by David Joyner in 2005 and maybe never (?) updated
since then, is much, much less useful.   So update it.

>> There is at the end of it a section which seems quite unrelated,
>> called "Interface Issues":
>>
>> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/constructions/interface_issues.html
>> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sagemath.org%2Fdoc%2Fconstructions%2Finterface_issues.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFuPwjwr7vr1S8VEqjW5EvjikT26w>
>>
>> What do you think should be done about it ?
>>

> Interesting.  A lot of this should go in the Tutorial or FAQ, I think.
>

>> Nathann
>>
>> P.S.: There seem to be *many* places of Sage's doc where the same
>> thing is explained, without any of the two being aware of the other.
>>

> This is what happens when you don't have a cathedral planner.

Nathann's being our cathedral planner.  Thanks Nathann!

>  --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington