On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Nathann Cohen <nathann.co...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > The best outcome would be to have a true "how do I do *** in Sage"
> document
> > that keeps being updated;
>
> A small remark: in combinatorial designs and graphs the anser to "How
> do I build ***" is rather well answered by graphs.<tab>,
> digraphs.<tab>, designs.<tab>. It gives a nice entry point for the
> functions that "build something", and from there the classes/functions
> doc is sufficient in our case.
>
> Of course I have no idea how that applies for other fields. But I
> would not be surprised if we could simply remove the groups/codes
> entries of the construction manual, after checking that all that it
> says can already be found through the groups.<tab> and codes.<tab>
> objects.

You are assuming that the only target audience of the constructions guide
is a person actively using an interactive Sage session, but that is not the
only target audience.   Google searches, especially from people who might
have never heard of Sage, are a big target audience for the constructions
guide.

I definitely would encourage you to do the above though and make sure
blah.<tab> is as good as possible.

By the way, yesterday at the Sage booth at the Joint Math meetings somebody
walked up and said, "can you use Sage to enumerate the groups of order 16?"
  For a group theorist, this is a very natural basic question.     I tried
groups.[tab] and found nothing useful.  I tried searching the sage
reference manual and couldn't figure it out.  I then of course googled for
GAP and that sort of question, and found how to do it directly with GAP and
did.  However, I could not figure out how to convert a gap group back to
Sage.  And I couldn't figure out how to list the elements of a GAP group.
 So I'm definitely not so happy with the group theory functionality in
Sage, or at least its documentation.
Remember, this was all in front of an impatient *potential* Sage users, so
I don't get 20 minutes to try to figure out each thing -- if I can't in 1
minute, we lose.

I don't even know if there any group theorists at all that use Sage...

Anyway, an ideal entry in the constructions guide would be "How do I
construct a list of all groups of order 16?"

 -- William

> Nathann

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics