On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 12:32:20 PM UTC-4, leif wrote:

> On 04/19/2015 05:41 PM, Nathann Cohen wrote:
> >> I often have a look at positively reviewed tickets and sometimes ask
> >> questions about the review. Positive review just mean that one person
> agreed
> >> that the changes were good to be integrated. But it might still
> interest
> >> other to have a look (or even the reviewer might think of something in
> the
> >> morning after setting the day before 'positive review'). So I would
> prefer a
> >> stand by period between the 'positive review' and the 'closed' (=
> currently
> >> testing if it merges cleanly). One week looks reasonable to me. And it
> >> should not be hard to script.
>
> > It is true that several persons requested that tickets should stay in
> > positive review for a while before being merged. On the other hand, if
> > merging them becomes fully automatic, then changing something is
> > really immediate and perhaps we will end up creating more tickets.
>
> Yep, with all consequences.
>
> It would IMHO be much more sensible to use the "Merged in" field (which
> Volker likes very much, I know), indicating that the branch has
> currently been merged into the next, not yet released, version.  (No
> need to change that field later, upon closing the ticket, if everything
> went well.)
>
> That way, anybody would (or should) know that he/she must not change the
> ticket's branch, but it would also easily be possible to revert the
> ticket's state into "needs work", in case other reviewers (or the
> original one(s)) happen to find further issues directly related to the
> ticket's changes (as opposed to desirable changes for a follow-up).

Yes, this seems reasonable.  Keeping a proliferation of tickets is good,
having a way for the release manager to let everyone know that the ticket
is being "tested" is also good, making the release manager's job not
annoying is good.

By the way, I would be very against completely automated merging.  The
release manager (as a human) is a last line of defense against scurrilous
tickets/branches/changes to Sage.  Otherwise it's too easy for a
write/review team of two to put in a whole bunch of stuff that maybe isn't
following convention (minor) or actively making Sage bad (major).  I'm not
defining those things, but just pointing out that having a "real person"
who has been working with the project quite a while verifying that the
changes could be relevant and useful is a good thing; otherwise we don't
have a "commit group" like some projects, but essentially any pair of
people becomes a committer.  In practice that isn't a huge problem, but
it's still worth having that role, very much so - and not just for testing
for doctest errors, which could themselves be in error ;)