On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 9:01:54 AM UTC+1, Luca De Feo wrote:

> > I deleted it as flame bait.   I'm sick of people using sage-devel as a
> > forum to attack others
>
> I'm sick of it too. But this kind of unilateral actions only fuels the
> flame, it does not extinguish it.
>
> Especially given your position as a CEO of a for profit company, William.
> Even though you do not have the power to do the same with Sage as what just
> happened with MariaDB, the community is entitled with a legitimate
> (unfounded, I believe) fear of SageMath Inc. trying to do something similar
> at some point. This kind of unilateral censorship, although well
> intentioned, can only spark more of those flames.

Removing obvious flamebaits and spam really should not require a long
consultation process.
(Censorship is a different story; while there cannot be a clear border
between a flamebait and a good argument; intentional misquoting, as in the
case we are talking about,
does qualify as an obvious flamebait, IMHO)

Having said that, I would like to see a more regular setup on "official"
sagemath googlegroups; more people should be able to moderate posts/posters.
Repeated posting of flamebaits or/and other obviously damaging things
should result in placing the poster under moderation (i.e. posts by this
posters are held in
a moderation queue, and released only upon moderator's approval).

Should we start a process of nominating/electing moderators?

Dima