Is it the intention that all Sage developers should use this new
system instead of the google group emails which we have used for many
years?  Or as well?  Has this been discussed anywhere, for example on
this list?

It is already hard to keep track of the email threads.   I have looked
at the Zopa streams and find that after a short time there are dozens
if not hundreds of new things in the trac stream.   Somewhere buried
in all that there might be some things of interest to me, but I don't
want to scan hundreds of messages every day just in case.  I already
get an email from trac when a ticket that I care about gets updated,
so why would I want this as well?

I can see that this would work well for something like the online
collaborations you mention, but for everyday work I cannot see how it
is intended to be used.

John