On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 03:35:15 UTC+2, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> On 10/17/2017 08:42 PM, Maarten Derickx wrote:
> >
> > What makes you think their process is dubious? They are reaching out for
> > consent from all people who have contributed, and they have removed the
> > code from the several people who have objected on record.
> >

> The mail that they sent to contributors ended with,
>
>   If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you have no objection.
>
> That's not the way it works, but if they've changed their approach, I'll
> be happy to be wrong in this case.

Hmmm that line in the e-mail is very different from what is suggested by
their public announcements, like for
example
https://www.coreinfrastructure.org/news/announcements/2017/03/openssl-re-licensing-apache-license-v-20-encourage-broader-use-other-foss

. To quote from that section:

“This re-licensing activity will make OpenSSL, already the world's most
widely-used FOSS encryption software, more convenient to incorporate in the
widest possible range of free and open source software," said Mishi
Choudhary, Legal Director of Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) and counsel
to OpenSSL. “OpenSSL's team has carefully prepared for this re-licensing,
and their process will be an outstanding example of 'how to do it right.’

This gives me the confidence that they will not take a dubious unlawful
approach, even though I find the wording in the e-mail dubious as well.

To all the people reading this and caring about the OpenSSL license change:
please visit https://license.openssl.org/cgi-bin/authors.py . Here you can
see a list of contributors who have not yet responded to the license change
request, and helping with getting OpenSSL to reach them will surely help
with the license change.