On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 8:15 PM William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 5) also might be harder than you think--or at least, even if we can
> > come up with an uncontroversial list of names, it's a discussion that
> > invites questions about project governance.
>
> To make it easier, I would suggest that the three names are for the
> people specifically interested
> in managing things related to the donations under NumFocus, and that's
> the extent of
> their roles.   So -- to keep this easier -- they aren't **the triad of
> sages in charge of Sage forever**,
> they are just in charge of this particular money.
>
> I personally would nominate the following three people: Erik, Dima, Frédéric
>
> Why?  They are the three in this thread who are most interested in
> volunteering time to work on this,
> and they all are clearly longterm serious Sage developers with
> excellent reputations in the community.

I'm honored by the nomination, but I do not think I would be a good
choice.  Although I am personally dedicated to and interested in Sage,
I'm sort of a mercenary right now and do not (currently) have any kind
of long-term institutional backing of the sort that tends to lend
credibility.

However, I am perfectly happy (and have long thought it would be a
good idea) to help draft a proposal to join NumFocus, and I have a few
connections to both NumFocus itself, and other member projects
(reminder: I worked for a long time as release manager for Astropy,
which was actually one of the earliest NumFocus member projects after
IPython).