On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:14 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-09-24 18:00, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>> > Perhaps the most tricky is 2 (or perhaps not anymore, after out
>> > infamous CoC discussion fiasco we could agree it makes sense to get
>> > something in place; we can have a look at
>> > https://numfocus.org/code-of-conduct
>> > and see if we can just agree to this)
>>
>> Speaking of Code of Conducts, there has recently been a CoC incident in
>> the Python community where somebody was banned permanently after a
>> single controversial post on a mailing list [1].
>>
>> Personally, I think that this is huge overreaction (at most a warning or
>> a temporary ban would have been in order) and it shows that a CoC can be
>> used as an excuse to take such actions. That incident certainly makes me
>> less supportive of having a CoC.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/053602.html
>
> TLDR: Someone proposes to remove "ugly vs beautiful" wording from
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/,
> resulting (unsurprisingly) in an escalating shouting contest...
> How can I unsee this, please (I could have done something useful in
> the lost 30 min...

I didn't look.  But if something like that happened on sage-devel,
somebody else would email sage-ab...@googlegroups.com (as it says to
do in our CoC), then we would look at it, probably delete some
messages from sage-devel (?), and definitely tell the person to take
it to sage-flame, where there is no code of conduct, and they can
shout into the void.  If they were OK with that resolution, I think
that would be fine.  If they continued posting what is generally
considered flame bait to sage-devel *after being told to use
sage-flame*, we would definitely have to ban them from sage-devel for
the good of the community.

 -- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)