On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 18:04 Erik Bray, <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 4:48 PM William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:14 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> in

> or
> be
> me

> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/053602.html
> > >
> > > TLDR: Someone proposes to remove "ugly vs beautiful" wording from
> > > https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/,
> > > resulting (unsurprisingly) in an escalating shouting contest...
> > > How can I unsee this, please (I could have done something useful in
> > > the lost 30 min...
> >
> > I didn't look.  But if something like that happened on sage-devel,
> > somebody else would email sage-ab...@googlegroups.com (as it says to
> > do in our CoC), then we would look at it, probably delete some
> > messages from sage-devel (?), and definitely tell the person to take
> > it to sage-flame, where there is no code of conduct, and they can
> > shout into the void.  If they were OK with that resolution, I think
> > that would be fine.  If they continued posting what is generally
> > considered flame bait to sage-devel *after being told to use
> > sage-flame*, we would definitely have to ban them from sage-devel for
> > the good of the community.
>
> FWIW the message in question was really bad IMO, and CoC or no CoC had
> I been a moderator of the python-ideas mailing list I would have taken
> similar actions. That said, they did violate the Python CoC on at
> least three counts within one message, so the CoC definitely validated
> its existence in that case.

I think the whole thread there basically started with a flame-bait. The
next logical step would be to propose to ban talking about bad code as bad,
etc etc.
In particular given the totally opposite to English ways to communicate in
Dutch (way, way, way more direct), no wonder a native Dutch speaker took
the bait (as he freely admitted).
I have no clue why moderators sat on their hands for so long.

But we digress.