On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Emmanuel Charpentier
<emanuel.charpent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le mardi 5 décembre 2017 10:52:14 UTC+1, Jeroen Demeyer a écrit :
>>
>> On 2017-12-04 19:18, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>> > I already reported
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-release/-BV8h300wXE/-nczXqseCgAJ>
>> > (twice
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-release/gwDq34aqrW8/Vcm2XSWAAgAJ>
>> > !) that 8.1.rc(whatever) won't build without Trac#24121
>>
>> If you find that ticket so important, why didn't you change its priority
>> to "blocker"?
>

> 'cause I' a newbie : I am aware that I do not know many things about the
> development process : I report what I see or can achieve, and let people
> (presumably) more knowledgeable than I am take the "right" decisions. I do
> not want to make of myself a bigger pain in the @$$ than I am already :-).
>

>> I see that this was done very recently, but if you had
>> done that from the beginning, it would already have been merged.
>

> Indeed. But I had some difficulty to convince others that a change breaking
> the last update to Windows 10 was importent enough : I thank that the
> critical fact is that Microsoft **pushes** this change to users. teling "do
> not upgrade now" is useless...

In fairness the one issue we're discussing here only affects building
Sage from source, and so as far as I'm concerned does not impact
"users", and the people building Sage from source on Windows can be
counted by a dog.  That said, as a matter of principal, it should have
been fixed, and I don't understand how the release manager chooses
which "positive_review" tickets are good enough to merge, and which
ones can be ignored.  The "priority" tag obviously has some influence
but when the default priority is "major" that still doesn't seem too
meaningful.  In my mind this was not a "blocker", but still important
to fix, and it has been available to merge for some time.

In retrospect I should have supplied a buildbot on Cygwin; though in
the case of this issue a buildbot might not have even caught it since,
as Emmanuel pointed out, it depends heavily on what Windows updates
are installed.