> kcrisman,
>
> This was discussed recently.  Several people said that if you start
> several Sage notebooks on the same machine or virtual machine, but
> different ports, things can scale up.  It's having too many people on
> the same sage notebook that seems to be the problem.  We aren't sure
> what the bottleneck is; someone needs to do some profiling to find out
> where it is.

I am aware of the thread you are referring to; I am referring to
something different, at least I believe so!

> How much memory do you allocate to the virtual server?  Are you sure
> that all the memory is being used up?

My sysadmin says probably 512 MB.  Yes, swap space is completely full
and main memory is very close to full.  The machine does not halt -
you can usually still log in.  His point of view is that the current
issue is not networking-related, but rather that the various notebooks
opening up are creating so many processes that the system is
overtaxed.

What I am wondering is if anyone knows how quickly a) multiple logins
to a notebook might do that or b) interact processes might do that (do
the objects get cached, for instance?) or c) people forgetting to log
out and perhaps leaving a  notebook running might do that or d)
something else I can't think of might do that.  Sysadmin knows about
VMs but not so much about internals of Sage, so he isn't sure if it's
simply people logging in and then not logging out while the notebook
is still active, or if it could be something else.

I understand that to some extent there is a lot of uncertainty as to
how efficiently the notebook works, but I know so little about how it
works (and about interact) that I'm asking the stupid questions, in
case one of them turns out to have part of the answer.

Thanks,
- kcrisman