On 19 Apr 2009, at 06:54, dpvc wrote:

> I do not think it is a jsMath bug.  If I understand you, by "works
> correctly" you mean that Firefox doesn't show the font warning message
> (while IE7 does, which you consider not working correctly).  You have
> tried several means of installing the jsMath image fonts as a solution
> to this problem.

By works correctly, I mean that Firefox displays the nicely rendered
equations, while IE only displays raw latex code.

> The jsMath font warning message actually has nothing to do with
> whether the image fonts are installed or not.  It has to do with
> whether the user who is reading your page has the jsMath TTF fonts
> installed on their computer or not.  If they don't, the message will
> appear and jsMath will fall back on the image fonts. (If you don't
> have the image fonts installed, then jsMath would report the infamous
> -7 error during startup).

For some reason, the fall back to image fonts is not working for me,
using my sage server on OS X, and viewing the worksheet on a PC
running IE7.  I don't know if there is a problem with the image font
installation in sage, a jsMath problem, or an IE problem.  But, as
long as Firefox will work, I am happy, and feel no need to spend more
time on this issue.  But, if you think there could be a jsMath bug
that you want to investigate, I would be happy to help out.

> It turns out that jsMath used to use a different set of TTF fonts that
> where created by BaKoMa for use with TeX installations, but they ended
> up being problematic, so I made jsMath-specific TTF fonts to get
> around those problems.  Under some circumstances, however, jsMath can
> still make use of the older BaKoMa fonts, and so if these are
> available, it will use them rather than the image fonts.  That is
> probably what is happening for your Firefox, as the BaKoMa fonts are
> used by Firefox as part of its MathML implementation, so you probably
> have them for that, whereas your IE7 users don't have them installed.
> (I'm not sure what fonts the MathPlayer plugin for MathML in IE
> requires.)

Thanks for the explanation.

Kevin