On 20 Apr 2009, at 11:32, William Stein wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Kevin Horton <khorto...@rogers.com>
> wrote:

>>> If an installation problem is the conclusion, then I'd like to spend
>>> at
>>> least a bit more of my time on it, as it would clearly be a Sage
>>> problem
>>> then.  It seems funny to me that it would work in one browser, but
>>> not
>>> another.
>>>
>>> I think Davide's suggestion above (look at the font mode and jsmath
>>> version number for both IE and Firefox) might help pinpoint the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Do you see the same problem with sagenb.org?  That server has the
>>> image
>>> fonts installed as well.
>>
>> When I attempt to load a worksheet from my server with IE7, I get a
>> dialog "In order for jsMath to be able to load the additional
>> components that it may need, the jsMath.js file must be loaded from a
>> server in the same domain as the page that contains it.  Because that
>> is not the case for this page, the mathematics displayed here may not
>> appear correctly."  When I view worksheets in IE, I see raw latex
>> where I should see rendered latex.
>>
>> In IE, nothing happens when I click on the jsMath button at the
>> bottom
>> right - i.e. I cannot open the jsMath control panel. Also note that
>> the jsMath button is only seen when I scroll all the way to the end
>> of
>> the worksheet, unlike with other browsers where it is always visible
>> at the bottom right of the screen.  I assume IE is not properly
>> rendering this element.
>>
>> In Firefox, no jsMath font dialogs appear, and the latex code is
>> rendered.  The font mode is shown as "Image symbol fonts", and the
>> jsMath version is 3.6a.
>>
>> At sabenb.org, I get no jsMath font warnings in IE.  Initially, I see
>> raw latex, but eventually it is replaced with properly rendered
>> latex.  The control panel shows the font mode as "Image symbol
>> fonts".
>
> That's because I installed the jsmath-image-fonts-1.3 spkg into
> sagenb.org's sage install.   I have jsmath-image-fonts-1.3 and not
> jsmath-image-fonts-1.3p1 installed; that could make a difference.
>
> I'm guessing that whatever jsmath-image-fonts-1.3* you're installing
> is totally broken.  Try typing
>
> sage -f jsmath-image-fonts-1.3

I ran this command, which appeared to run successfully.  See tail end
of transcript:

Finished extraction
Host system
uname -a:
Darwin iMac.local 9.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24
17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
GCC Version
gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-apple-darwin9
Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5490~1/src/configure --disable-
checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-
languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/
$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/
lib --build=i686-apple-darwin9 --with-arch=apple --with-tune=generic --
host=i686-apple-darwin9 --target=i686-apple-darwin9
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)
Extracting and installing jsMath Image Fonts to:
/Applications/sage/data/extcode/notebook/javascript/jsmath
Finished installing jsMath Image Fonts.

real    0m18.726s
user    0m1.417s
sys     0m3.278s
Successfully installed jsmath-image-fonts-1.3
Now cleaning up tmp files.
Making Sage/Python scripts relocatable...
Making script relocatable
Finished installing jsmath-image-fonts-1.3.spkg

I restarted sage, and the PC with the problem, but the problems in IE
remain the same as before.

One small clarification to what I reported earlier: I reported that in
IE7, a click on the jsMath button does not bring up the jsMath control
panel.  This is true when connected to my server.  But, the jsMath
button does work correctly when connected to sagenb.org.  Perhaps this
is a more fundamental jsMath installation problem, and not just a
jsMath fonts problem.  But, the jsMath control panel from my server
opens in Firefox, or from OS X on other computers, so whatever the
problem is, it is only affecting IE7.

I then got a bit too creative, and did a "sage -f jsmath-3.6a.p0", and
restarted sage.  That gave the famous "error code -7" dialog, and have
math font problems on all browsers on all computers.  I tried another
"sage -f jsmath-image-fonts-1.3" and restarted sage, but that did not
help.  I then tried, inside sage:  install_package('jsmath-image-
fonts-1.3p1').  That got rid of the "error code -7" dialog, and fonts
now display correctly in all browsers except IE.

I am happy with the workaround of using Firefox, so this is only worth
working on if it may represent a bug, or a problem with the
installation instructions, etc.

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada