When an elliptic curve is created the code in the __init__ function in
ell_generic.py (lines 164-5) do cause a multivariate polynomial ring
to be created.  In this case it's a new ring each time as the base
field is always a new field.

The reason this is done is that the elliptic curve class derives from
the plane curve class, which is created from a homogeneous polynomial
in three variables.  However at least 95% (at a guess) of elliptic
curve functionality does not depend at all on the base class (one
exception is checking that points lie on the curve, and even that was
not the case until the recent patch by Alex Ghitza).

So, when you create a large number of curves over different fields you
do also create all these rings.  However, in the example in the
original post, these elliptic curves do not remain in scope, so I
don't know why the rings are not garbage-collected away.

John