Thanks, William.  I'll check that out.

Also, for those interested in the bug i reported, i'd like to rephrase
the description of my situation, because i stated it a little
confusingly above.  Take two.  I have a big symbolic expression E
involving lots of derivatives.  I want to replace the derivatives with
other
symbolic expressions/numbers.  Naturally, i'd like to perform the
substitution with a dictionary D whose keys are the derivatives and
whose values are the corresponding expressions/numbers.  That is, i
want to build D and do E.subs(D).  Unfortunately, building D fails in
Sage 4.2.1 when the keys are derivatives of trivariate (and possibly n-
variate with n>3) functions.  (I guess Burcin is getting ready to work
his Sage-fu on this symbolics bug ;-) )

One workaround, suggested by William, is to convert E to a string,
build D with keys the string versions of the derivatives, perform the
substitution as strings, and then convert E back to a symbolic
expression.  I'm trying this now ---well, not right now, because it's
the weekend in New Zealand.  However, if anyone out there can think of
a simpler temporary workaround, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Alex