On Dec 4, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> just a side remark - IMHO notebooks are not designed for any kind of
> large-scope project.

There's no reason they couldn't be.

> For the latter, you are much better off with good old scripts.
> Notebooks certainly have their own pluses, such as more interactivity
> and ease of collaboration---but not
> sharing, as was demonstrated here recently.
> Otherwise I don't really see a point of them.

Ease of use, especially for people on Windows. I think they have
advantages for sharing as well, as I can share a notebook with someone
by posting it on a public (or personal) server, and they can go and
get an account and use it without having to even install sage. This
could be particularly nice for the classroom setting.

> 2009/12/4 tmb <tmb...@gmail.com>:
>> Note, incidentally, that restoring from backup (whether in parts or
>> not) is a major problem because the paths to the notebooks change.
>> So, links that I put into the lecture notes point to the wrong
>> notebooks, or are just dead.
>>
>> That's another reason why the current naming scheme really needs to
>> change somehow.

I agree. It would make for longer URLs and paths, but maybe we should
have globally unique, and consistent, ids for worksheets (for example,
just choosing a sufficiently large random number and using the ostrich
algorithm to resolve collisions). Then one could at least link between
worksheets reliably, and correlate worksheets across multiple servers.

- Robert