I didn't receive a response on this.  If the question isn't clear,
please let me know what needs to be clarified.

I'm sure my request isn't unique: one of the major goals of Sage is to
provide a platform that allows people to _verify_ it, which is par for
the course for any mathematician.  I'd like to see the steps Sage uses
to convert the sum I give it (or what not) to the form it chooses.