On Jun 26, 2010, at 7:24 PM, S. Robert James wrote:

I didn't receive a response on this.  If the question isn't clear,
please let me know what needs to be clarified.

I'm sure my request isn't unique: one of the major goals of Sage is to
provide a platform that allows people to _verify_ it, which is par for
the course for any mathematician.  I'd like to see the steps Sage uses
to convert the sum I give it (or what not) to the form it chooses.

For the most part, the answer to that question is if you want to see what went on you have to read the source. It is possible that some functions (maxima?) has a verbose mode, but that may not be what you want.

- Robert