Hi All!

Shouldn't this discussion better go to sage-devel?

On 22 Aug., 22:01, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0006/

Quoting from this source:
"In general, only the N-1 release will be under active maintenance at
    any time. That is, during Python 2.4's development, Python 2.3
gets
    bugfix releases."

I see that simultaneously, there is work on Python 2.6.6 final (to
appear tomorrow) and Python 3.2 alpha2 (to appear September 5th).

My impression is that the Sage development process is quite far from
that way of thinking.

First of all, is there in Sage the concept of "maintenance" of a
previous version? Usually, if people hit a problem with, say,
sage-4.4, then they are told that they use a bronze age version and
should upgrade to the *latest* version sage-4.5.2. According to the
above quote, one would rather say "upgrade to bugfix release
sage-4.4.3".

So, in a way, only one Sage version is actively maintained at a time,
namely always the latest version.

If I remember correctly, there recently was a thread (sage-devel?)
about the role of milestones in the Sage trac. My impression is that
people virtually always choose the earliest possibility in the
"milestone" menue. Having bugfix releases would require a change of
attitude. People should tick 4.5.3 *only* if they have a bugfix.
Otherwise, they should tick 4.6 or 5.0. But then it may even be worth
to change the milestone menu. Perhaps:
  "bugfix only" (without mentioning a number, as this will always go
into the earliest possible release),
  "minor addition: 4.5.3" (There is no change in existing code and
little new code, so, it may be safe to consider early inclusion - but
care has to be taken, as it is more than a bugfix)
  "minor addition: 4.5.4" (dito)
  "major addition: 4.6" (There is much testing required, as there is
change in old code or there is much new code)
  "critical change: 5.x" (in contrast to an addition, a change might
not be fully compatible with Sage-4.x and will thus not go in before
version 5.0)

At this point, a question on the current milestones: What is the
meaning of the milestones "sage-invalid/duplicate/wontfix" and "sage-
i18n"? The former looks more like a resolution (not a milestone) of a
ticket, and the latter is totally obscure to me.

Cheers,
Simon