Wow, I really didn't expect to open this discussion with that post.

> I expect Sage upgrades will slip further down your system admin's priority
> list
> if they are causing him problems.

Though he's actually quite Sage-friendly, and sounds like he'll do
it.  The only issue was

> > I am really hesitant
> > to use this in class when I can't even make it work on my own computer
> > properly.
>
> I don't blame you.

Though again, I am personally quite likely to just find a way about
it, since I've invested so much in Sage.

> =================== From Peter Jeremy ===========================
> I am very concerned at this "release it now, we'll make it work later"
> mentality.
> The only possible way Sage might get less buggy, is for more people with
> similar
> views to me, make them known to William. *Perhaps*, if he realises people like
> you are reluctant to use Sage for classes because of the bug rates, he might
> do
> something to address the quality control issues.

Well, in general it seems to me that most Sage bugs come from things/
functionality that didn't exist before, and once they exist people
want to start using them.  But unlike a commercial system, the only
realistic way we have to look for these bugs is for people to use the
system.  I just don't see how else to do it; I don't think most Sage
developers necessarily use the latest bleeding-edge release for day-to-
day stuff.  For instance, I have a modified R optional package
installed on one of my Sage installs, and since getting that to play
nice on every new Sage would be tedious and boring, I just keep
sage-4.4.4 on my laptop for research only. Similarly for classroom use
- one usually uses the same server all semester, so there isn't
opportunity to see *new* bugs.

> in a suitably complex system there is a certain irreducible number of errors.
> Any attempt to fix observed errors tends to result in the introduction of
> other
> errors

I think that while there are certainly some bugs that really don't
satisfy this, there are plenty of bugfixes that introduce new errors
in Sage - it is easily that complex.  However, these usually result as
a result of uncovering some hitherto non-existent (or possibly non-
wrapped) functionality which turns out to have bugs, which will only
be uncovered by "real" users.

So actually, I find the release early and often mantra to be helpful,
because it helps make it better; finding edge cases is much less
likely to happen without a full-time team of dedicated staff
otherwise.  I think that even some randomized test suite is not so
likely to find things unless it starts just entering random valid Sage
commands, even ones that don't make sense to a "real" user.

And I don't think there is a lack of attention to fixing bugs; every
release is a bug-fix release.  It is also a new-functionality release
- which yes, introduces bugs, but not ones that would have even been
visible before.

- kcrisman