I have a question regarding plotting in R.
If I go to Notebook (change to r from the drop down menu) and type

x<-c(1,2,3)
plot(x)

I get a strange error message:
Error in png(): X11 is not available

I have made the start scripts available with
install_scripts('/usr/bin'). If I issue those commands in the R
console then nothing happens (without error message).

if I issue capabilities() I get the following results:

jpeg  (FALSE )   png (FALSE)    tiff (FALSE )  tcltk (FALSE)    X11
(FALSE)     aqua (FALSE) http/ftp (TRUE )  sockets (TRUE ) libxml
(TRUE )   fifo (TRUE)  cledit (TRUE )  iconv (TRUE)     NLS (TRUE)
profmem  (FALSE  )  cairo (FALSE)

So R thinks I have no X11 system ( I have, xorg with JWM and GTK) and
no support for graphic files (I have libpng.so installed in /usr/lib ,
and I also find it in the sage tree, so probably sage has its own
version)

I had googled alot and found there were some issues with the R-
plotting interface, but as far as I understood this should be fixed,
so basically it should be possible to plot from R.

This is in the live CD version which uses Puppy Linux (has Ubuntu
Binaries). I installed sage (4.6) directly from the Ubuntu binaries
(passed sage -testall without errors). Could this be fixed easily
(maybe some symlinks?). Or is there a chance for a fix if I compile
sage on the system from source?

I also tried the current vmimage on a windows host and it gives the
same for r.capabilities().

I got feedback from people who are very interested in the sage package
but mainly want to use some components in a "classical" way (e.g.
Rcmdr with R) - Do you think this is possible at all?

many thanks for any hint on this
emil