On 29 Dez., 12:28, Harald Schilly <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:25:11 AM UTC+1, emil wrote:
>
> > I got feedback from people who are very interested in the sage package
> > but mainly want to use some components in a "classical" way (e.g.
> > Rcmdr with R) - Do you think this is possible at all?
>
> Just about that, yes, you can use Sage just as a distribution of scientific
> software. On the commanline, just enter $ sage -sh and you are inside the so
> called sage environment. There, you can start any of it's programs, and in
> your case, you can start R and install the R commander. Via this environment
> you basically bypass everything of sage and you have direct control of all
> tools. (i.e. theoretically, you could download and install a binary version
> of R from their website while being in that environment, replacing the one
> from sage)
> Unfortunately, I tried it and I got errors installing the Rcmdr package ..

Hello Harald,

yes, It is not working as expected. Expected behaviour would be that
you have access to the R plotting engine and (after installing the
Developer package with gcc etc) you can install packages (including
Rcmdr).

Some days ago I wanted build Texmacs, I compiled it from source and
got it working, but plotting was broken too - so I dumped it because I
though there is something wrong with my Texmacs build, but maybe this
problem has the same roots.

I just want to mention that of the feedback from the last sage live CD
at least half of all users who try it are interested mainly in one
component (R, Python with libraries, maxima).

So I really would like to fix this and have a working direct access
from outside sage to those packages. What would be the best approach?
Should there be a "track ticket" or later even something in the
doctests to test this functionality? Sorry I am clueless here, its a
bit above my head.

kind regards
emil