At some level the problem is that the Tornado web application used by
Jupyter is returning a 404 when the client tries
to load:

http://localhost:8888/nbextensions/widgets/notebook/js/extension.js?v=20220201102631

I have no clue how the Tornado web application tries to translate that URL
into a path to a static file named extension.js.
But that file does exist.  The difference between 9.4 and 9.5 with respect
to that file is that it moved from local/share to
venv/share.  So I would guess that there is some part of how Jupyter
configures its Tornado web application which
was not correctly adjusted to compensate for that change.

- Marc