Hi Saliganvkars,
Thought this Net was supposed to be used to discuss any issues with regard to
Saligao. & I think the restoration of the Saligao Church falls under this
category.
Dilip, I support Rico's statement & am of same mind. I have received a number
of replies after sending the Appeal to other Saliganvkars around the world (on
a personal basis) & they assured they will do the needful, so the Net has not
been used to raise funds. I was yet to send this "Appeal" to you, Maxwell &
others, but I've been busy upon my return or perhaps I've already sent it, I
have yet to check my list. As Rico says, who ever feels they would like to give
their mite, they are welcome to do so, ..how, when, where is all in the Appeal
which is self explanatory. I will send this "Appeal" to Saligaonet now ....
those who are interested, print the same, do the needful if you are
like-minded, distribute to others interested;... others may just ignore or
delete like most of us are doing with some of the mails on Saligaonet if we are
not interested. We have a choice & I'm sure each of us are free to make our own
choices in all fields.
Dilip, .....Leao is right - Saligao Church is on the world map not only
because of "its uniqueness of the only Gothic Church in Goa", but because of it
being one of the few Gothic Architectural Structures (the slim tall spires)
still standing in the world. I am no historian so cannot verify this, however
I'm sure others could. Daniel, perhaps you could ask Fr. Nasciment.
Dilip, perhaps you will get your answer in the almost last paragraph of
Albert's mail on this subject.
Kevin, so you are aware, your last para is absolutely correct advising
caution...there are reasons why the the Govt. is not in the picture now (with
regard to paying for restoration etc.) because Dr. Willy did the right thing
when he got the Church under the "heading" where it was illuminated etc. so as
to make it a "Tourist Spot" but did not hand it over under another heading
where the Saliganvkars would lose control. Read something on the newspapers in
January, during my short stay in Goa - something about Vasco, villagers not
having access when they want, etc. etc. Daniel would probably know about that
...
And as mentioned in my previous mail, this "Appeal" has been going around since
beginning of February & people have already contributed & are still
contributing towards this fund so as to get the repairs of roof done before the
monssons - time is of the essence here.... Receipts have been produced also,
the money will be used for the right things & every Saliganvkar can track this,
..this time around all is above board & the Chairman assured there would be
transparency.....
And yes Albert, sums of money have been received from various parts of the
world (I for one already knew about those received from Bombay, Australia &
Canada & have been accounted for) for the Church, The Aged Homes, the medical
facility etc. etc.
Have a good day
Annette
> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 00:57:56 +0530> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> [email protected]> Subject: Re: [SALIGAONET] pictures of the Saligao
> Church> > Unlikely. I think the villagers are capable of raising the funds,>
> though it may take time. Anyway, as I see my role here, it's limited> to
> passing on the message. Now, if only someone could get that> two-pager
> across in plaintext, it would allow all those who want to> support it to do
> so, and the rest of us can keep on doing our own> thing. --FN> > On
> 04/03/2008, Kevin Saldanha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > Hi Fred,> >> >
> Isn't there some way that a case can be made for the state to pick up at> >
> least a portion of the tab towards the restoration seeing as it gets pretty>
> > good mileage on the beauty of the gothic structure. Naturally, if they> >
> could ride on the titheing of the Saligaokars, they would. We need someone>
> > to build a case for them to release some of the Rs. from their tourist> >
> development budget.> >> > This would benefit the congregation and the state
> in a joint venture.> > However, caution would be advised as to them claiming
> a stake in future> > operations etc.> >> > Kevin> >> >> > On Mon, Mar 3,
> 2008 at 2:02 PM, Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया]> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:> >> > > Just to say:> > >> > > * All issues are welcome on this list.
> Religion is not taboo either.> > > * Those who do not wish to support the
> Church repairs project are> > > under no compulsion to do so. Likewise,
> those who see it as a worthy> > > cause, are free to support it.> > > * I
> know that this issue is a priority for some of our villagers, and> > > we
> respect their sentiments.> > > * A. Isa and my neighbour Olanda Sequeira
> (David, Luke and Ruth's mum> > > who teaches at St Mary's) had passed on
> printed appeals over the> > > issue. To circulate the same over Saligaonet,
> we need the same in> > > plain-text format. Could someone who has the appeal
> please post it to> > > the list?> > >> > > Just a clarification to reply to
> Dilip da Cruz. This list is> > > non-denominational and open to all. To me,
> it doesn't make sense to> > > block out religious issues ... but just be
> sensitive and discuss> > > things in a way that doesn't offend others.> > >>
> > > Kevin, I'm no expert on this, but I don't think the State would fund> >
> > the maintenance of a church. The State has spent money on> > >
> illumination, but I think that's done on the rationale of promoting> > >
> tourism. FN> > >> > >> > > On 03/03/2008, dilip dacruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:> > > >> > > > Is this web site affiliated to the church? Is there a
> special> > connection?> > > > I wasn't aware there was one.> > > > I look at
> this site as a secular, all-embracing site that cares about> > all> > > >
> aspects of saligao.> > > > It is not a catholic-bound exclusive club....or
> is it?> > > > And Leao, is the church our biggest heritage? Really? Where
> did that> > come> > > > from?> > > > Whose scale and whose measure?> > > >>
> > > >> > > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > > > Hi All,> > > >>
> > > > I was under the impression that the Goa Government has a stake in> >
> preserving> > > > the structure as a heritage building. After all, they went
> to great> > pains> > > > to install the high intensity illumination and it
> is one of their> > popular> > > > visual attractions to Goa. Not sure if the
> huge illuminated image still> > > > graces the Bombay airport.> > > >> > > >
> Kevin> > > >> > >> >> > _______________________________________________> >
> Saligao 403511 website http://saligao.goa-india.org> > Saligaonet mailing
> list> > [email protected]> >
> http://lists.goacom.org/mailman/listinfo/saligaonet> >> >> > > -- >
> ----------------------------------------------------------> Frederick 'FN'
> Noronha | Ym/Gmailtalk: fredericknoronha> http://fn.goa-india.org | [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> Independent Journalist | +91(832)2409490 Cell 9970157402>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Saligao 403511 website http://saligao.goa-india.org
Saligaonet mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.goacom.org/mailman/listinfo/saligaonet