> Other than the membrane, what other part's failure would herald the end of
> SAMs working life?

I bought my Sam in Feb 1990 - very early on one of the chips went funny so
the picture occasionally went black and white.  I got this replaced shortly
after SamCo appeared and I'd got my v3 Rom.

Since then I've had no trouble whatsoever.  Hmm, a slight lie, my disk drive
was playing up for a while, but taking it out and plugging it back in again
eventually seemed to solve that problem, it's right as rain again now.

Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky.....

....@/