Nick Humphries wrote:

>And, as a Windows user, I'd like to say that when downloading software, most of
>it has been in pkzip/winzip files (*.zip) rather than gzip files (*.gz). Not as
>it is on Linux, I know, but another pretty important piece of information when
>you're developing for Windows.

There's no reason why Windows users can't use tar.gz -- I'm sure that if
someone distributed some software in it, people would still be able to
use it. Of course, there's no reason why Windows users shouldn't use
zip, too. They've always used zip in the past, and they see no reason to
change. Gzip *is* better for single files, though - simply because it
can *only* contain one file.

>Anyway, all this is moot since, as Allan pointed out, using the zlib library
>eliminates the need for the user to somehow find a copy of gzip. So my solution
>was a good one after all...

I thought you wanted to write something new? Anyway, nobody ever
suggested that using the gzip executable was the best way of doing it.
Gzip files can be read using zlib, you know.
--
Stuart Brady