Andrew Collier wrote:

> >They are just *emulator* enhancements to remove some of the awkward
<snip>
> He was talking about enhancements to the emulated virtual machine, not the
> host environment.

If we're talking about the same thing:
<quote>
> 1. fast reset

fair enough, virtual machine - but as an option controlled by the host
environment, only taking effect if a setting was set.

> 2. auto-boot SAD images (snapshots can do 1&2)

thats not neccessarily a virtual machine enhancement  - the host
emulator environment can when starting (if set) 'fake' pushing the F9
key in the virtual machine (presumably)...  the virtual machine remains
the same - the F9 push (which would normally come from the keyboard)
comes from the host environment code - and that'd allow you to set
different preferences - e.g. autoboot on reset, call0, etc. etc.

> 3. start from non-SimCoupe directory
> 4. faster disk emulation (DOS is poor, Win32 is faster)

and those two are both host environment.

</quote>

> Changes to the virtual machine are a bad thing. They would make SimCoupe
> unrealistic, and emulating something which never existed. Changes to the
> external GUI can be a good thing, if they make SimCoupe easier to use.
>
> The loading system - provided you stick to using disk images, rather than a
> magic file store - is something *external* to the virtual Sam. Feel free to
> change it, but also note that you already can double-click on a disk image,
> which loads SimCoupe, and press F9, just like on a real Sam. Where exactly
> does your "click - click - click - tap tap tap tap tap - click" come in?
> Exaggerating doesn't exactly help your argument...

Being condescending doesn't help yours.   Bearing in mind that I've
never done that.... I was referring to using the GUI on the DOS version
of SimCoupe - the only version I've ever used, in which it certainly
isn't an exagerration.. The only options were to use the internal GUI,
which involves a lot of clicking & typing
(tapping) (especially if the DSK image is in a different directory) or
to type it on the command line ..which is a lot of typing (tapping)...
"click - click - click - tap tap tap tap tap - click" would only be 4
mouse clicks & 5 keypresses.... If anything, thats an understatement.

Martin Fitzpatrick

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ#: 11077801