----------------------------------
From: Graham Goring
When you don't have the power, you have to limit your options and while that
sometimes leads to better design, it mostly leads to arse games. J

I mean if you look at most of the SAM Coupé's software it was generally not
that great with only a few standout games that showed signs of ingeniousness
(such as Water Works which was brilliant - what happened to Martin Bell?).
Maybe it was down to a lot of people using stuff like SCADs (which sounded
like a disease at the best of times) which produced flawed software (and
similarly GamesMaster had some vile limitations) instead of coding their own
from scratch, but the fact remains that most SAM games weren't exactly
stellar.

However I'd argue that the problem with most PC games these days is that
they're either all "me too" products or they're infuriatingly over-designed
to the point that unless you're familiar with the genre, they're
impenetrable. These days games are generally far better put together and
designed than they used to be, but our expectation levels are similarly
higher so we don't really notice it.